We are excited to announce a significant upgrade to our Ubuntu on Amazon WorkSpaces offering. From today, Ubuntu WorkSpaces now support GPU-based Graphics.g4dn and GraphicsPro.g4dn bundles, unlocking new opportunities for creativity and innovation on Amazon WorkSpaces.
Since the launch of Ubuntu on Amazon WorkSpaces in September 2022, we’ve been committed to providing customers with the flexibility and tools they need to excel across a variety of use-cases and industries. This update underscores our commitment to continually enhance our offering and meet the evolving needs of Ubuntu users.
GPU Support: Empowering Creatives, Data Scientists, and AI/ML Developers
Graphics G4dn bundles utilise NVIDIA T4 GPUs alongside custom Intel Cascade Lake CPUs and integrate with NVIDIA software such as RTX Virtual Workstation and CUDA libraries. This opens up new possibilities for creatives, data scientists, and AI/ML developers.
Graphic designers, 3D artists, and video editors can now leverage the power of GPU acceleration for their resource-intensive tasks. Data scientists and AI/ML developers can use GPU power to process large datasets and train complex models more quickly and efficiently.
Broader Benefits of Ubuntu on Amazon WorkSpaces
This update builds upon the existing benefits of Ubuntu on Amazon WorkSpaces. Here are a few key advantages that make it a powerful choice for your virtual desktop needs:
- Choice and Flexibility: Ubuntu WorkSpaces offer a choice of Value, Standard, Performance, Power, or Power Pro bundles alongside the new Graphics G4dn bundles. This allows you to select the right level of compute, memory, and storage that suits your specific needs.
- Streamlined Management and Cost-Effectiveness: With Ubuntu WorkSpaces, you can quickly provision and scale desktops in minutes, reducing your overhead and complexity. You only pay for what you use, either monthly or hourly, making it a cost-effective solution for both regular and occasional use.
- Security and Accessibility: Your files and data are securely stored in the AWS cloud. This enables contractors and remote workers to access their desktops from anywhere, whether working from home, at the office, or while traveling.
- Developer-Friendly Environment: Ubuntu is a popular choice among developers. The availability of Ubuntu on Amazon WorkSpaces, equipped with AWS SDKs and the latest toolchains for Python, Rust, Ruby, GCC, Go, PHP, and Perl, creates an ideal environment for cloud-native and open-source development.
- Enterprise-grade Support: Ubuntu WorkSpaces benefit from Ubuntu Pro, which includes expanded security patching for 10 years. This ensures a reliable and secure environment for your workloads.
Ubuntu WorkSpaces are leveraged across a range of critical business sectors including pharmaceutical industries, financial institutions and automotive manufacturers. To learn more about how Ubuntu on Amazon WorkSpaces can optimise hardware costs, development and testing workflows and reduce time-to-market for your organisation. Please get in touch.
Get started with Ubuntu WorkSpaces
Amazon Workspaces, Ubuntu WorkSpaces offers a wealth of best practice guides and tutorials, including how to assign Amazon WorkSpaces to users from a directory service.
More information is available in the AWS guide to getting started on Amazon WorkSpaces.
Pricing for Ubuntu WorkSpaces is connected to users’ hardware requirements. More information and detailed pricing can be found on the Amazon WorkSpaces.
Learn more about Ubuntu Desktop
Ubuntu Desktop is the world’s most popular open source desktop operating system. Find out more about how we empower enterprise developers and IT administrators at the following links: