January 21st 2022
Whether it is managing your domains and email accounts or installing applications, a control panel can simplify even the most complex server management tasks. So here we are, discussing Plesk vs Cpanel vs DirectAdmin – the top three hosting control panels today. This comparison post will help you pick the right hosting control panel for your business
Let’s face it.
It’s not easy to manage a gigantic server while focussing on other aspects of your business.
You should have a comprehensive understanding of the ins and outs of server management.
One mistake and the entire site may break at once.
You can’t afford to overlook it or compromise even a bit of it.
But thanks to what is called “web hosting control panels” that cut down your server management hassle to almost ZERO.
But, here’s the catch!
Not all control panels are ideal for each type of web hosting. Moreover, choosing the most suitable control panel is crucial as migration from one to the other is both troublesome and expensive.
Among the hundreds of options available, three server management tools – cPanel, Plesk & DirectAdmin are dominating or quickly emerging in the current market.
But again, you need to choose which one is best for your server.
So in this post, we will discuss in-depth on Plesk Vs. cPanel Vs. DirectAdmin to simplify your decision-making journey.
cPanel Server Management Tool
Perhaps the most popular of the three, cPanel web hosting, typically manages Linux-based servers. The interface & functionality of cPanel is so easy that even non-technical users can manage the entire server without any technical expertise. This is a major reason why cPanel web hosting is a top choice for many.
cPanel allows you to perform higher-level tasks, wherein you can manage both your
website and other aspects of your hosting. Alongside, it also enables you to perform some of the tasks that can be done in the admin area.
What Are The Features Of cPanel Web Hosting?
- The modern-day cPanel comprises the combination of cPanel technology with web host manager interfaces. This provides customers with options for server administration and customer account management solutions.
- It is easy to use and install and comes with a straightforward GUI, which allows users to manage their daily tasks with minimal effort.
- cPanel recently added a cPanel SEO tool (beta) to its interface, which enables website owners to optimize their sites for improved search rankings.
- Its compatibility with a majority of browsers, including Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer makes it a great choice for organizations who want a scalable system.
- cPanel is an extremely portable solution allowing you to transfer your website from one hosting provider to another quickly and painlessly.
- Supports stronger and secure site maintenance through extensions and numerous inbuilt security solutions (SSL Certificates).
- With cPanel, you enjoy flexible database management as you can create your own MySQL database and use the system to do almost anything you want.
Read on the 5 Different Types of Web Hosting
cPanel Quick Facts
Look at some amazing facts about cPanel you probably didn’t know about:
- Released in 1996, cPanel is the oldest hosting solution.
- At present, about 3,533,540 websites are using cPanel.
- cPanel can be installed on RHEL, CloudLinux, and CentOS.
- A domain is created using the cPanel server every 6 seconds.
- A new cPanel hosting account is created every 14.5 seconds.
|Best & Affordable cPanel Hosting Providers On HostingSeekers
Check out our top-rated cPanel hosting providers companies that offer cPanel server support. You can make a choice based on their reviews & ratings, pricing, and features that best fit your business needs.
Plesk Server Management Tool
If you are among those who want an attractive hosting platform for Windows, Plesk is the ideal option. It has a lot to offer for developers & webmasters helping them to achieve a stable and efficient hosting solution. Plesk is best known for its user-friendly interface and myriads of features, which allow admins to manage their servers more efficiently.
The newest Plesk is available both for Windows and Linux. It is designed to manage performance and work unobtrusively. The Plesk panel is available in multiple editions, each customized for specific hosting use cases.
What Are The Features Of Plesk Web Hosting?
- The fact that Plesk is host agnostic and can be installed on any platform, whether it is Linux or Windows makes it a popular server management tool today. The best part: you can also run Plesk inside a Docker container available on Docker Hub.
- Plesk also supports Docker integration featuring over 200,000 different Docker images. This enables website owners/developers to launch Docker images directly from Plesk without using the command line.
- Plesk is great support for those who demand integration with Git – a popular version control system. Plesk version 12.5 and up support Gitman extension with full Git integration to its core functionality.
- With Plesk, users can schedule incremental and complete backups enabling easy roll-back of amendments made to their site or database.
- It allows you to set usage limits for different system resources, including RAM, disk I/O, CPU, and even system resource usage on the server. The usage is tracked by the server health monitor automatically.
- Plesk control panel has separate licenses for 10-30 websites. It is a cheaper option if you have fewer sites.
Difference Between HTTP and HTTPS: Weighing The Perks
Plesk Quick Facts
- Released in 2001, Plesk is the newest hosting tool in the market.
- Users can install it on a variety of Linux and Windows distros.
- 300,000 servers are installed with Plesk globally.
- 12 million websites run on Plesk.
- Best control panel in the US, and also captures approximately 75 to 80 percent of the European market.
DirectAdmin Server Management Tool
A lightweight and easy-to-use control panel for Linux, DirectAdmin is the least expensive of all three server management tools.
The most unique aspect of the DirectAdmin web hosting tool is its simple interface making it usable for even the newbies.
Although DirectAdmin is not so popular as its other two counterparts, it is still an ideal option for those trying to set up and has a tight budget. Moreover, it comes with all the core features a control panel must have, including multi-customer setups support, DNS management, and reseller account creation.
What Are The Features Of DirectAdmin Web Hosting?
- Among the easiest and fastest Linux hosting control panels.
- Provides you with several admin access views.
- Comprises in-built spam management tools.
- User-friendly interface & very competitive pricing model.
- Offers some advanced tools to configure SSH keys, cron jobs, custom error pages, etc.
SAS vs SATA vs SSD: Which Is Better For A Dedicated Server?
DirectAdmin Quick Facts
- Released in 2003.
- Runs on any system with a 500 MHz processor and 1 GB memory and at least 2 GB of swap memory.
- Offers a 60-day free trial
- Prices start from just $2 per month for support for about 10 domains.
Best & Affordable DirectAdmin Hosting Providers On HostingSeekers
Browse through our top-listed hosting providers that offer reliable & cost-effective DirectAdmin web hosting for your newly established business.
Feature Comparison: Plesk vs Cpanel vs DirectAdmin
1. OS Compatibility
The foremost criterion to choose a hosting control panel is the type of operating system you want for your server.
Of the available top hosting control panels, cPanel & DirectAdmin support Linux-based systems, and Plesk supports both Linux & Windows. So, for anyone who is familiar with a Windows server, using cPanel or DirectAdmin will require them to enhance their knowledge of the Linux environment.
While cPanel is supported by Cloud Linux, CentOS, and RedHat, DirectAdmin is compatible with Red Hat, Debian, FreeBSD, and CentOs. On the other hand, Plesk is supported by 14 different Linux solutions in addition to Windows servers.
Once you have decided on which OS to run on your server, next you should evaluate the performance of each of the options you have.
In the performance comparison, Plesk vs Cpanel vs DirectAdmin, cPanel wins. cPanel is faster as it utilizes a minimal amount of memory for its execution. Hence, developers can speed up load times & experience faster loading of their servers & applications.
3. User Interface
Both Plesk and DirectAdmin are currently considered to have a cleaner and easier-to-use GUI as compared to cPanel. That is why Plesk and DirectAdmin are ideal for beginners and non-tech savvy.
Plesk groups its features in a list which further expands with more options when clicked. This makes its interface quite similar to the WordPress CMS. However, this is not the same with cPanel. On the contrary, the cPanel interface seems cluttered to many users. Moreover, cPanel along with WHM offers a wide range of options along with front-end & back-end making the interface complicated & harder to manage than DirectAdmin and Plesk.
Recommendation Read: How To Start A Web Hosting Business?
Because of its integration with WHM, cPanel differs from Plesk & DirectAdmin. cPanel with WHM is a great combination to increase server management and efficiency. Plus, two of them combined also improve site administration and management.
On the contrary, when used alone Plesk vs cPanel vs DirectAdmin requires permissions to perform complex tasks. On comparing the functionality of all three control panels, they all have multiple language packs, configurable reseller hosting packages, phpMyAdmin integration, availability to manage MySQL databases, configurable spam filtering, and more.
Of all the three, Plesk is the only server tool offering multiple IPs per domain, external file servers, and external MySQL servers.
Plesk provides security features including fail2ban that prevent active directory integration, intrusions, and spam defense for email. On the contrary, cPanel offers security features such as automatic installation of SSL certificates, IP address denials, and directories with password protection.
Direct Admin combines with cPGuard – a security suite that protects web apps using its Commercial WAF and website malware scanner.
Both cPanel and Plesk are available as licensed and on cloud and dedicated servers. Hence, the price of both these control panels depends on the access type. For example, the cost for cPanel and Plesk on the cloud generally starts at around £10 per month. Moreover, cPanel and Plesk charge regular fees for the entire product usage period.
On the other hand, DirectAdmin is the only control panel that allows webmasters to purchase licenses and enjoy unlimited updates and functionality.
DirectAdmin vs Plesk vs cPanel: Quick Recap
Here’s Our Final Verdict
Both cPanel and Plesk offer more features than DirectAdmin in terms of functionality, user interface, and security. So, when it comes to choosing between cPanel and DirectAdmin for your Linux-based system, cPanel wins the game. But, if you are a beginner and budget is a constraint, you could think about DirectAdmin.
In the battle, Plesk vs cPanel for Linux systems, you get a more intuitive interface and more than 100 extensions in Plesk. Also, Plesk seems a better option if you own multiple servers and looking to stay with a similar control panel. However, if you have a large number of sites, choosing cPanel could be more affordable.
Again, cPanel has a wider community in the market currently so finding support staff and developers may be much easier than with Plesk.
In a nutshell, choosing the right control panel depends on several factors.
Still confused about choosing a server management tool for your website? Contact experts at HostingSeekers. We will not only help you with choosing the right web hosting service providers for you but will also find you the best web hosting provider at the best price.
List of Top 7 Dedicated Server Hosting USA
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is cPanel Hosting Free?
Ans. To avail cPanel hosting, you need to purchase a license. So getting free cPanel for your server management is hard to find. However, several good hosting providers offer cPanel hosting at very affordable monthly and yearly prices. Plus, you can also avail money-saving coupons and save big. Visit HostingSeekers for more to find free web hosting with cPanel?
Q. What Is Plesk VPS Hosting?
Ans. Plesk VPS hosting is a type of web hosting where your VPS hosting provider comes along with the Plesk panel. Plesk VPS hosting allows you to control and manage your VPS server. You can perform day-to-day tasks like setting up websites, e-mail accounts, reseller accounts, DNS, and databases.
Q. What Is cPanel Reseller Hosting?
Ans. cPanel reseller hosting enables a reseller to rent server space from a reliable top reseller hosting provider and resell it to clients. Each client has a customizable cPanel account which can be easily customized as and when needed.