Today, we are very happy to announce our new book: Success at Scale, a curated collection of best-practice case studies capturing how production sites of different sizes tackle performance, accessibility, capabilities, and developer experience at scale. Case studies are from industry experts with guidance that stands the test of time.
Join Addy Osmani, your curator, as we dive into a nuanced look at several key topics that will teach you tips and tricks that may help you optimize your own sites. The book will also include short interviews with each contributor on what additional lessons, challenges, and tips they have to share some time after each case study was written.
High-quality hardcover. Curated by Addy Osmani. Cover art by Espen Brunborg. Print and eBook shipping in fall 2023. Pre-order the book.
Each section of the book is filled with case studies from real-world large-scale web applications and services, interviews with the people involved, and key takeaways to help you achieve the same success.
- Performance includes examples of measuring, budgeting, optimizing, and monitoring performance, in addition to tips for building a performance culture.
- Capabilities is about bridging the gap between native capabilities and the modern web. You’ll explore web apps, native apps, and progressive web applications.
- Accessibility makes web apps viable for diverse users, including people with temporary or permanent disabilities. Most of us will have a disability at some point in our lives, and these case studies show how we can make the web work for all of us.
- Developer Experience is about building a project environment and culture that encourage support, growth, and problem-solving within teams. Strong teams build great projects!
Who This Book Is For
This book is for professional web developers and teams who want to deliver high-quality web experiences. We explore dimensions like performance, accessibility, capabilities, and developer experience in depth. Success at Scale goes beyond beginner material to cover the pragmatic approaches required to tackle these challenges in the real world.
About the Author
Addy Osmani is an engineering leader working on Google Chrome. He leads up Chrome’s Developer Experience organization, helping reduce the friction for developers to build great user experiences.
- ISBN: 978-3-910835-00-9 (print)
- Quality hardcover, stitched binding, ribbon page marker.
- Free worldwide airmail shipping from Germany starting in fall 2023.
- eBook available for download in fall 2023 as PDF, ePUB, and Amazon Kindle.
- Pre-order the book.
Community Matters ??
Producing a book takes quite a bit of time, and we couldn’t pull it off without the support of our wonderful community. A huge shout-out to Smashing Members for the kind, ongoing support. The eBook is and always will be free for Smashing Members as soon as it’s out. Plus, Members get a friendly discount when purchasing their printed copy. Just sayin’! 😉
More Smashing Books & Goodies
Promoting best practices and providing you with practical tips to master your daily coding and design challenges has always been (and will be) at the core of everything we do at Smashing.
In the past few years, we were very lucky to have worked together with some talented, caring people from the web community to publish their wealth of experience as printed books that stand the test of time. Heather and Steven are two of these people. Have you checked out their books already?
Everything you need to know to put your users first and make a better web.
Add to cart $44
Touch Design for Mobile Interfaces
Learn how touchscreen devices really work — and how people really use them.
Add to cart $44
Interface Design Checklists
100 practical cards for common interface design challenges.
Add to cart $39