As with most digital marketing strategies, your success often comes down to your copy. Having a good copywriter or someone with copywriting skills on your marketing team is a must.
And it’s no different when it comes to your Instagram captions.
But even the best copywriters get a brain block every now and then, which is why we’ve put together this list of 50+ Instagram caption ideas to get those gears turning and help you pump out high-quality Instagram posts time and time again.
Follow along for tips on writing awesome Instagram captions as well as a list full of ideas for your Instagram captions, regardless of what your post is about.
How to write an Instagram caption
First things first, let’s cover the basics. How do you write a good Instagram caption? You always want to keep your target audience in mind and write anything. Who are you writing for? How do you want them to feel when they see your post or read your Instagram caption? What actions do you want them to take?
Here are a few more tips for creating Instagram captions that resonate.
1. Give your audience more context
A picture might say a thousand words, but your Instagram posts need captions to provide more context. Especially when sharing branded content, you need some copy to fully explain the point you’re trying to convey.
Use your caption to:
- Describe to your audience the image you shared
- Explain why you’re sharing it and why it’s relevant
- Give your audience an action for them to take
But more importantly, do so in a way that’s concise and to the point. Which brings me to my next point.
2. Keep captions short and sweet
Instagram captions can be a maximum of 2,200 characters, which is between 310 and 550 words. However, that doesn’t mean that every one of your captions should take up that much space.
In fact, it’s typically better to create a succinct, quick and easy-to-read caption over a large block of text—except for in rare circumstances when that space is needed to fully flesh out an offering, contest, giveaway or promotion.
3. Stick to your tone of voice guidelines
Every brand should have standardized tone of voice (TOV) or brand voice guidelines to follow. This helps your marketing team be consistent, not only in every single Instagram caption but also in your tweets, Facebook posts, blog content, email newsletters and more.
4. Incorporate hashtags, emoji, acronyms, etc.
Even for a business, Instagram is still a fun social media platform, so don’t be afraid to let loose a little. Incorporate emoji, use a bit of slang, throw in some popular acronyms (i.e., DM, IRL, IMO, FOMO) and always be sure to use Instagram hashtags.
5. Drive engagement
While someone may “like” your photo just because it’s a high-quality or well-designed photo, as a brand, you’re hoping for a bit more than that. Maybe a comment, a follow or—best-case scenario—a purchase or signup.
To further engage your audience, use your caption strategically. Ask a question or tease a new product or feature. There are a number of ways you can further drive engagement via your Instagram caption.
And to help, check out these caption ideas.
50+ Instagram caption ideas for businesses
Even the best copywriter can occasionally struggle when trying to create concise copy for Instagram and other social media captions. That’s what we’re here for—to supply you with endless inspiration for creating excellent social media content.
Instagram caption ideas for events
- Join us for [event] at [venue] on [date + time]. Link in bio to register.
- We’ll be in [city] for [event] on [date]. Stop by and say hello.
- *One Day Only* We’ll be opening pop-up stores across town this Saturday. Link in bio to get more details.
- Register for our upcoming webinar on [topic]! Join us at [date and time] to learn more. Seats are limited — sign up through the link in our bio!
Instagram caption ideas for contests and giveaways
- This [prize] could be yours! Participate in our [contest]. To enter: [contest details]
- Get a chance to win [prize]. All you need to do is participate in our [contest]. More details in bio.
- Ever wanted to try some of our [product]? Well, here’s your chance. Enter our [contest] and you could win [prize].
- In honor of [social media holiday relevant to your brand], we’re giving away [product]! [Giveaway details.]
- ?GIVEAWAY? [Giveaway details.]
Instagram caption ideas for promoting a sale
- 10% off on EVERYTHING only for today! Link in bio to shop. Hurry before the sale ends.
- Save big on [sale category] this [holiday season/event]. Use code: [code] to get 20% off. Happy shopping!
- We know how much you love the holidays, so we’ve decided to give you a little treat. Here’s 15% off on us. Use code: [code]. Valid till: [deadline].
- Good things come to those who wait for [upcoming promotion]! Get [discount] from [date] through [date]!
- Have you tried our new [product/product line]? Shop our website to get [discount]. Link in bio.
- Buy [product] and get [product] free! [Details.]
Instagram caption ideas for a product launch
- Something exciting is coming your way. Watch this space. (Keep it short and mysterious when you can’t give out a lot of details about the launch yet.)
- We’ve got something brewing… Hint: Think [new feature]. Get ready for an exciting announcement in the coming days.
- You asked; we listened. We’re excited to announce the upcoming [product], which has [feature + benefit]! Coming to you this [month of launch].
- The most innovative solution to your [pain point].
- Ready to [solution to pain point]? Introducing [new feature].
- Our newest drops are perfect for [solution to pain point]. Get yours today.
- Because nothing this good can last forever.
- It’s HERE! Introducing [product].
- Did you hear? Your favorite [popular product] is now [reinvention of popular product]!
Instagram caption ideas for employee appreciation
- This weekend, the [company] team took part in a marathon to raise money for [cause]. Here are some photos of our fun and fulfilling day.
- Here at [company], we value [positive characteristics]. [Employee name] has been with us for [duration] and perfectly exudes those qualities. Thank you, [employee name] for being part of the [company] team!
- Congratulations to [team member role and name] for [achievement]!
- It takes a lot of skill, time and patience to produce even just a single piece of our [product]. We’d like to take this moment to show our appreciation for the people who make it all happen. Our production team works tirelessly to give you the quality you deserve and expect in our [product].
- It’s our [team member role and name]’s birthday today! [Name] has [company achievements]. They’re celebrating with a well-deserved day off today!
- [Team member’s role and name] has officially been with us for [length of employment]. Thank you for everything you do for [company name]!
Instagram caption ideas for celebrating a milestone
- We did it! [Details of the achievement]
- [Company] turns [age]! Thank you for joining us on our journey.
- We put our blood, sweat and tears into it and we finally made it happen! [Details of the milestone]
- [Company age] and counting.
- Started from the bottom, now we’re here.
Instagram caption ideas for general promotion
- It’s time for [your product]!
- The more [your product], the better.
- You + [company] = the perfect match. [Explanation.]
- BRB, on my way to [action your product is used for]!
- Let us introduce you to your new favorite [noun relevant to your brand: activity/treat/self-care routine]: [your product].
- Check out our latest blog post on [topic]. Link in bio.
- This month, we’re donating [amount] to [charity]. Join us in support of [movement]!
- [Solution to pain point.] All you have to do is sign up!
- Three things about [your product] that just make sense: [list].
Instagram caption ideas for engagement
- How often do YOU [insert something your product can help with]?
- What’s your favorite part of this [insert what’s depicted in your image]?
- Drop a [emoji] in the comments if you [something relevant to your image/brand/product].
- Did you know: [fun fact relevant to your brand/product].
- Double tap if [something relevant to your product].
- Tag [person] if [something relevant to your product].
- [Your product/brand] has entered the chat.
- [An adjective to describe your product] ? [another adjective to describe your product].
- Use #[brandedhashtag] to get featured!
- Felt cute, might delete later.
Take advantage of these Instagram caption ideas
Start creating your own incredible Instagram posts with these Instagram caption ideas. Learn even more Instagram best practices to get the most out of this platform for your business. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!